- Name : L. Anitha Kumary Amma
- Gender : Female
- Age : 56
- Nationality : Indian
- Email ID : email@example.com
- Educational Qualification: M.A Economics (Kerala, First Rank,1985) B.Ed, M.phil, Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram
- No of Years of Experience : 27 Years as Faculty, Centre for Taxation Studies (from 1993 to 2009) and Gulati Institute of, Finance and Taxation (2010 onwards) Associate Professor,since 2003. (17 years as Associate Professor)
8. Present Activities
a. Course Co-ordinator
Post Graduate Diploma in Goods and Services Taxation- Course Co ordinator- 2018 onwards
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation – Course Co-ordinator from 2006-07 to 2017-18 (10 years)
- Job role: Course Announcement, Admission process, Issue of Admission cards, Organising printing and dispatch of study materials, Scheduling and conduct of contact classes at various centres, Issue of Course Completion Certificate, Scheduling of Examination and conduct of examination at various centres, Paper valuation and result publication, Tabulation work of exam sheets, Preparation of Mark list, Preparation and dispatch of Post Graduate Diploma Certificate to candidates. Answering queries and other public relations work regarding the course.
- Handling Classes on the subject and preparation of study materials for the paper- Economics of Taxation
b. Training Co ordinator
Training- Principal Co ordinator
- 1.Sales Tax practitioners Training Programme for the Renewal and Issuance of Photo Identity Card valid for two years as per G.O(Ms) No.209 dated 2711/2015 conducted at 14 Centres covering STPs belonging to 14 Districts. Training imparted to 844 STPs on Goods and Services Tax. Handling classes on Goods and Services Tax.
- Diploma in Sales Taxation holder’s Training (DST holders)
Five Days Intensive Training Programme with written Examination for DST holders of GIFT for the issuance of Sales Tax Practitioners (Diploma) Certificate and Photo ID Card for two years as per G.O(Ms) No.210 dated 27/11/2015 conducted at various Centres of Kerala. Total Nine batches completed issuance of 452 Sales Tax Practitioners (Diploma) Certificate and Photo ID Card. Handled classes on Goods and Services Tax.
c. Seminar / Workshop Co-ordinator
Organising Seminars on Pre Budget and Post Budget Discussions, Gulati Memorial Lectures , GST Workshops/Stake holders consultations and various other Seminars
d. Research/ projects ongoing
GST rate changes for goods updating as on December 2019 based the notifications of Central Goods and Services tax – with Shyama Balachandran, submitted draft report to Director, GIFT (to be published in December 2019)
A report on the Revenue Mobilisation sources of state of Kerala from own tax and non- tax sources to be prepared and submits to Finance Secretary, Government of Kerala, (with Dr. K J Joseph, Director, GIFT and Prof. D Narayana, former Director, GIFT)
e. Other Activities
Assisting establishment matters of GIFT (salary, pay revision, DA calculations, calculation of retirement benefits- Gratuity, surrender updating of service book, preparation of annual budget of GIFT , and other related service matters)
9. Research Projects (31 Completed)
- GST and Rubber Sector 2017-18, A collaborative project between Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation and Rubber Board, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, Project Member
- Service Tax Revenue from Kerala: An analysis , 2016-17 submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, Government of Kerala, Project Member ,State Planning Board
- Consumer Expenditure on Durable Consumer Goods and its implications for Tax Potential: A Comparison of Kerala with major Indian States, 2015-16, submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, Government of Kerala, Project Member
- Revenue Performance of Commodity Taxes in the Post-Reform Period: An interstate Comparison, 2015-16, submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, Government of Kerala, Project Member
- Tourism Satellite Account for Kerala: A Study for Tourism Dept, 2015-16, Government of Kerala, Project Member
- Feedback Study on own resources mobilisation efforts of local bodies in Kerala, Report submitted to Fifth State Finance Commission, October 2015, Project Member
- Tax Effort of Local Bodies in Kerala: An Analysis, ( Report Submitted to DAC), 2015-16, Project Member
- Tapping the Potential of Sales Tax and Value Added Tax in Kerala: Options and Strategies, submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, 2014-15 ,Government of Kerala, Project Member
- Estimation of Revised Revenue Neutral Rate of proposed Goods and Services Tax for the state of Kerala with 2013-14 revenue figures, Project team
- An analysis of the Revenue Implications of Goods and Services Tax to Kerala, February 2015, submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, Government of Kerala, Project Member
- Revenue Implication of Online Trade in Kerala, 2015, submitted report to Commercial Taxes Department, project member
- Study on evaluation of Kerala Finances, submitted to 14th Finance Commission, Government of India, 2014 co-authors Jose Sebastian and Shyama Nair R
- Restructuring Taxation of Gold/Jewellery in Kerala, 2013-14, Project Member, Submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department, Government of Kerala
- Mobilising Additional Resources from Stamps and Registration in Kerala: Options and Strategies, 2013-14, (with Jose Sebastian), submitted to State Planning Board and Finance Department
- Restructuring Taxation of Gold/Jewellery in Kerala, February 2013, Project Member, Submitted to Taxes Department, Government of Kerala
- HSN based Commodity Classification Code for commodities of Sikkim VAT Schedules, August 2011,Project Co-ordinator
- Comprehensive Social Welfare Schemes for Kerala – A study of Welfare Fund Boards / Schemes 2010-11 , Project Member
- HSN based Commodity Classification Code for commodities of Rajasthan VAT Schedules, December 2010, Team Member
- Impact Assessment of Tax Automation of Commercial Taxes Department of State of Kerala, December 2010, Project Member
- Study on Finance of Local Bodies – Submitted to Fourth State Finance Commission of Kerala – 2010, Project Member
- HSN based Commodity Classification Code for commodities of Tamil Nadu VAT Schedules, October 2009, Team Member
- A Study on Mobilization of Additional Resources by Taxing Hoardings May 2009 - Project Member
- HSN based Commodity Classification Code for VAT Tariff, Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers, New Delhi, June 2008, Team Member.
- Revenue collection of 20% rated White Good: A Study for Kerala Budget, 2007. - Project Member
- Impact of VAT on Coconut and Coconut Products 2005-06 - Project Member
- Liability Management in Government 2004-05 – Project Member
- Training Need Assessment (TNA) for the Commercial Taxes Department of Kerala – Study Report 2003-04 – Project Member
- Impact of VAT on Petroleum Products used as Industrial Inputs – Project submitted to Kochi Refineries Ltd. 2002-03 – Project Member
- Project on Harmonized System of Nomenclature – Commodity Classification and Coding under VAT Tariff, Govt.of India , 2001-02, Team Member
- “Taxation of Petroleum Products: Policy Strategy in the context of Dismantling of Administered Pricing Mechanism – A Study with Special Reference to Kochi Refineries Ltd.” – 2001-02 - Project Member
- Study on the Revenue Impact on the Abolition of surcharge on certain Petroleum Products [12/2001 (2)] - Project Member
10. Research Papers / Working Papers/Publications/ Articles
- Revenue performance of value Added Tax (VAT) and Goods and Services Tax 9GST): An Interstate Comparison with Special Reference to Kerala, GIFT working paper series 1/2019 (with Shency mathew)
- Charakku Sevana Nikuthi (Goods and Services Tax (GST), Oru Leghuvivaranam, (Malayalam) – Kerala Tax Reporter – February 2017.
- VAT Vs SGST projections for Kerala-2017-22 submitted to State Planning Board, (with Shri.R.Mohan, Dr.Ramalingam and Dr.Shyjan Davis)
- Report on Financial Resource Mobilisation of Kerala- Report submitted for 13th Plan period for Government of Kerala-Kerala State Planning Board -2016-17) ( with Study Group Members-Dr.D.Narayana,Shri.R.Mohan, Dr.Ramalingam and Dr.Shyjan Davis)
- Revenue and Equity Implications of Goods and Services Tax: A preliminary Analysis, September 2012, Kerala Tax Reporter (with Jose Sebastian)
- Tax Administration and Compliance Environment of Local Bodies: Insights from Process Mapping in Thiruvananthapuram Corporation,WP.No.5/2010-3. (with Jose Sebastian)
- Revenue performance of states before and after the introduction of VAT: A comparative analysis, 2009 – 2 WP No.2/2009-2
- Schedules under Kerala Value Added Tax Act, 2003, (as amended by the Kerala Finance Bill, 2008) July, 2008; (with Jenny Thekkekara)
- Tax turnover and quantity analysis of petrol and diesel of oil marketing companies in Kerala, 2008, (with: Dr.N.Ramalingam, Smt. Jenny & Shyama Nair. R.)
- Compounding provisions for gold dealers under KVAT Act, 2003, 2008 (with - Dr.Thomas Joseph & Dr.C.S.Venkiteswaran, & Dr.N.Ramalingam)
- Estimation of State Revenue Neutral Rate of GST for Government of Kerala, 2007 (with – Shyama Nair R and Dr.Jose Sebastian)
- Budget proposal 2006; Amendments to Kerala VAT Schedules with harmonized system of nomenclature codes, 2005-06 (with – Shyama Nair R & Dr.K. Gopakumar)
- Suggestions relating to Commercial Taxes Department submitted to Twelfth Finance Commission, 2004 (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R & Dr.Jose Sebastian)
- Sales tax performance in the post liberalization period, 2004 No2/2004(2). (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R & Dr.Jose Sebastian)
- Kerala VAT Schedules with Harmonised system of Nomenclature Codes (Draft Report, 2004) (with Shyama Nair R & K.Gopakumar.)
- HSN Coding on commodities under VAT Schedules, submitted to the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers (with: Gopakumar.K. & Shyama Nair.R.)
- Value Added Tax Revenue from Sugar, Tobacco and Textiles for 2003-04: An Estimate, 2004 (with – Dr.Jose Sebastian)
- Harmonized System of Nomenclature (HSN) – A Study on sub-classification of HSN Commodities submitted to the Empowered Committee of State Finance Administers, (with - Shyama Nair. R. & K.Gopakumar)
- Revenue Impact of rate increase in case of select commodities under KVAT Act, 2003.
- Responsiveness of Sales Tax to Net State Domestic Product (NSDP)in Kerala – CTS Working Paper No.1/2002. (with – Dr. Jose Sebastian & Smt. Shyama Nair. R)
- Eleventh Finance Commission and Tax Devolution – An Analysis – CTS Working Paper No.2/2001. (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R.)
- Schedules under KGST Act, 1963 vis-à-vis Uniform Commodity Nomenclature, Classification & Coding [UCNCC] – For the use of Computerization of the Commercial Taxes Department – CTS Working Paper No.7/2001. (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R.)
- Revenue Impact of Introduction of VAT in Kerala: A Preliminary Exercise – CTS Working Paper No.12/2001. (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R & Jose Sebastian)
- Moolya Vardhitha Nikuthi – Oru Avalokanam (Malayalam) ,2001– Kerala Tax Reporter
- Moolya Vardhitha Nikuthiyum Nikuthi Nirakkile Vyathiyanagalum (Malayalam) – 2001, Kerala Tax Reporter
- Working of Sales Tax Incentives in Kerala: An Analysis – CTS Working Paper No.2/99.
- Non-tax Revenue of States: A Comparative Analysis with Special Reference to Kerala – CTS Working Paper No.4/99. (with – Smt. Shyama Nair R.)
- Slump in Rubber Price: A Preliminary Analysis – CTS Working Paper No.3/98. (with – Smt.. Shyama Nair R)
- Refixing Sales Tax Rates to Compensate for the Erosion of Purchasing Power due to Inflation: A Suggested Approach with Reference to Selected Commodities – CTS Working Paper No.8/98. (with – Dr. Jose Sebastian)
- Analysis of Commodity-wise Sales Tax Revenue Data: Some Preliminary Results – CTS Working Paper No.9/98. (with – Dr.R.P. Nair & Dr.Jose Sebastian)
- Impact of Changes in Central Excise on Kerala’s Sales Tax Revenue: A Quick Analysis – CTS Working Paper No.10/98. (with – Dr. Jose Sebastian)
- Sales Tax in Kerala – The need for an Alternative, 1993, Kerala Tax Reporter
11. Study Reports/Policy Notes
- A Note on Consumption of Gold Ornaments Across Indian States submitted to Taxes Department on April, 2016 (with Jose Sebastian and Shyama Nair R)
- Comments on the Revenue Neutral Rate and Structure of Rates for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) ,submitted to Taxes Department on Janurary, 2016 (with Shyama Nair R)
- Involved in the State Income Calculation (Base revision of State Domestic Product (GSDP) based on 2011-12 at State Planning Board, 2015, Government of Kerala
- Comments on the Report on Revenue Neutral Rate and Structure of Rates for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) of Prof. Aravind Subramaniam,submitted to Taxes Department on December 2015 (with Shyama Nair R)
- Consolidation of the proposals of Pre Budget Consultation of Union Pre Budget held on February 10, 2015 submitted to Taxes Department and Minister for Finance, Government of Kerala
- Commnents on Revenue Implications of GST ans Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate:Estimates fpr 2011-12, December 2014,NIPFP, submitted to Taxes Department on March 2014 (with Shyama Nair R)
- Commnents on Revenue Implications of GST ans Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate:Estimates fpr 2011-12, March 2014,NIPFP, submitted to Taxes Department on March 2014 (with Shyama Nair R)
- Commnents on Revenue Implications of GST ans Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate:Estimates fpr 2011-12, February 2014,NIPFP, submitted to Taxes Department on March 2014 (with Shyama Nair R)
- Study on
- Debt position: A picture of sustainability
- Grants-in-aid to States under Article 275
- Goods and Services Tax (Submitted to Finance Department, Government of Kerala for the preparation of 14th Finance Commission Memorandum).
- Revenue Neutral Rate of GST for Kerala based on NIPFP revised computation (with Shyama Nair R) Submitted to Taxes Department, Government of Kerala, October 2013.
- Food Subsidy in Kerala: An Overview, October 2012, submitted to Director, GIFT(with Shyama Nair R)
- Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate of GST for Government of Kerala, August 2012, (with Shyama Nair. R)
- Revised Negative list of Services-Comments (Notes submitted to Taxes Departmet, Government of Kerala
- Note Submitted to Taxes Secretary on TAX/GSDP ratio and Tax / Consumption Ratio, 2014 with Jose Sebastian and Shyama Nair.R
- Proposals to Union Budget 2014-15, submitted to Taxes Secretary, May and June 2014
- Note on Compensation under Value Added Tax (VAT) and Proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST) with Shyama Nair R , submitted to Director, September 2014
- Suggestions on Economic Review, Macro Economic Profile Chapter of Economic Review, submitted to State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, November 2014.
- Consolidation of the proposals of Pre-Budget consultation of Kerala Budget for various years submitted to Taxes Department, Government of Kerala.
- Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate of GST for Government of Kerala, August 2012, with Shyama Nair R
- Proposals for Fiscal Consolidation, submitted to Taxes Department, December 2011, with Dr.Jose Sebastian and Smt.Shyama Nair R.
- NIPFP study on Revenue Implications of GST and Estimation of Revenue Neutral Rate: A State wise Analysis: Comments, with Smt.Shyama Nair. R.
- Revenue Neutral Rate of GST for Kerala- Based on the NIPFP Revised Computation, with Smt.Shyama Nair.R
- Revenue implication of Service tax in Kerala in the context of GST
12. Books published
- A book on ‘Commodity Finder under The Kerala Value Added Tax Act, 2003” was published by Centre for Taxation Studies in 2005. It contains an exhaustive list of 7000 commodities with the respective schedule entries, tax rates and HSN Codes. Co-authors: Dr. K. Gopakumar & Smt. Shyama Nair R.
2. Urban Finance in Kerala: A Study of Municipal Corporations – Print Well Publishers, Rajasthan.
13. Paper presented in National Seminars
State Finance of Kerala after two years of GST Implementation, One Day Seminar organised by Department of Economics, Christian College, Kattakada, Thiruvananthapuram, 27 November 2019
State Finance of Kerala under the GST Scenario, International Seminar on Money,Growth and Macro Economic Policies in India, 17,18 and 19th January, 2019 at University of Calicut, Department of Economics, Dr.John Mathai Centre, Aranattukara, Trissur
Kerala Budget 2019-20: Efficiency and Effectiveness of Public Expenditure, jointly organised by CRED and SAPREM as panellist on 21st February, 2019, Thiruvananthapuram
Revenue and Equity Implications of Goods and Services Tax: A Preliminary Analysis (National Seminar on Goods and Service Taxation in India: Fiscal and Constitutional Issues, September, 2011, jointly organized by Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation and National University of Advanced Legal Studies(NUALS),Kochi. Co-author: Jose Sebastian
Incentivising Resource mobilization by LSGs in Kerala: An approach of State Finance Commissions and its implications(National Seminar on Local Self Governance Fiscal and Service Delivery dimensions ,November 2011, , jointly organized by Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation and Nirmala College, Muvattupuzha, Co-author: Jose Sebastian
Goods and Services Tax: Challenges and Pragmatism, National Seminar organised by KNM college, February 2015, represented as panellist in the session Issues and Concerns of Goods and Services Tax, at Kanjiramkulam College, Thiruvananthapuram
14. Popular Articles in English
Goods and Services Tax: An Introduction, (Second Author) Mathrubhoomi Yearbook, 2013, pp. 208-15
15. Any other Information
- Member of the working group on Finance Resources and Resource Mobilisation constituted by State Planning Board, Kerala for 13th Five Year Plan, 2016-17.
- Member of the Governing Body, Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation ,2014-15
- Member of the Library Committee (since 2011)
- Chairperson of the Committee on Prevention of Sexual Harassment towards women workers in GIFT.
- Member of the Policy Committee for fixing Revenue Neutral Rate of the Government of Kerala for the implementation of Value Added Tax in the State
- Member of the core group for identifying Training Need Assessment of the Commercial Taxes Department of the Government of Kerala
- Member of the Committee for fixing Revenue Neutral Rate of the Government of Kerala for the introduction of Goods and Services Tax in the State
16. Teaching Experience
Specialization: Public Finance- Economics of Taxation.
Job role: Preparation of course modules, updating study materials, handling sessions of the paper Economics of Taxation for the course, valuation of assignments, preparation of question papers, valuation of answer sheets.
17. Training experience
M/s. Kran Consulting Pvt. Ltd, and IT firm approached GIFT to formulate and conduct training to their personnel on macroeconomic indicators. Training modules were prepared and a total of 10 sessions on macro-economic indicators were conducted during May and June 2011.
GST Training Co ordinator - Sales Tax Practitioners, tax consultants and various other agencies.
Co ordinator of on the job Training to Higher Secondary Students(VHSS), Mulamana and Chalai, Goverment School.
Resource person to the training to New recruits of SGST Department, Kerala on Economics of Taxation.
18. Participation in Meeting/Workshop
Participated the 59th International Conference of the Indian Society of Labour Economics which was organised by GIFT during 16-18 December 2017.
Participated the Seventh Annual Conference of Indian Health Economics and Policy Association which was organised by GIFT ,IHEPA and Asim Premji University during 24-25 January 2019
Sub- Group Committee Meeting on Revenue Neutral Rate (RNR) under Goods and Services Tax (GST)- Ministry of Finance, Government of India, New Delhi, 16 July 2015(wth Shyama Nair R)
Workshop on Writing Winning Proposals (17/10/2014 to 18/10/2014) by Dr.Joy Elamon, Chief Executive Officer, Inter-Co-operation, Social Development India, New Delhi.
19 GST Awareness classes
GST Awareness class taken at Christian College Chengannor, GST Practititioner’s Association, Changanassery, Economics Department, Kariavattom, TVM, GST Practitioner’s Association, Kottayam, GST Practitioner’s Association, Punalur, Tax Consultants Association, Adoor, All Kerala Scientific and surgical Dealers Association (two classes), TVM, Mentor-B, Educational Institution, Kollam, Tax Consultants Association, Bharanganam, Press Club, TVM, Traders at YMCA, Thiruvalla (list not completed).
Areas of Interest / Specialisation
Public Finance- Central and State Finances, Local Finances, Indirect Taxes and State Income Analysis, Centre State Financial Relations